Monday 29 November 2010

Sydney Stories - Week 45 (and 44)

Hello,

Yes, I couldn't make it to write last week. Right about Thursday I had some time, but then it was too late and too early for this week's story. Suddenly life seems to be running on turbo mode.  Gotta slow down. :-)

I was reading a book review in a kid's magazine picked up in Nandhitha's pre-school. The title is "The Very Bad Book". Here's a sentence from the review - "This book is 172 pages of rotten rhymes, despicable drawings, crude cartoons and juvenile jokes that are anarchic, offensive and even funny". Apparently there no censor board for children's books!!!

It is spring time here and flowers abloom all over. There is this purple Jacaranda flowers all over Sydney. Didn't notice this in Melbourne seems like a feature of Sydney and Brisbane. Wonder if it is the same sampangi flower found in Bangalore but a purple version. 

This Friday we had a "Family Disco" event in Nandhitha's pre-school. A nice way of raising funds for the school. However I was not "prepared" for it.  Maybe a little more orientation would've helped. However did come back with a dinner voucher worth $50. Guess I should not complain. :-)  

The dinner voucher - we got it as part of a raffle ticket prize. It is one of the trends of the holiday season to have a Xmas raffle going around. Everybody seems to have one including our doctor's office. It's not too expensive - 50c a ticket so one would not feel the pinch.

Talking about donations, my Movember collection has been pretty pathetic. I was the only one who donated (to me) inspite of me reaching out to my "network" via email and also shamelessly asking people to donate whenever someone commented (positively) on my moustache. Firstly I wonder why I even wanted to do this, next wonder what I can do next year to improve the collection. 

I have told this many times already but will repeat again. Australia does not know how to deal with temporary workers like us. Or should I say temporary workers should be just that - temporary for a few months and not hope to have a decent living. One of my colleagues had their 2nd child last week. He is also on a 457 visa just like me. The health insurance for people like us works a bit differently compared to the normal private health insurance (am not talking about the public medical care). The coverage is so bad that one should'nt really be thinking about having babies with this visa. My friend was pretty nervous that nothing should happen over the weekend because the costs will increase and his insurance will not cover that additional weekend charges. The treatment itself seems under par when I compare to what I had experienced in US. Maybe it was just that hospital which apparently had underpaid nurses. There was a board outside the hospital...beware of underpaid and overworked nurses. 

Ta ta for now.

Have A Great Week!!

Chetty

No comments:

Post a Comment