Monday 11 July 2011

Sydney Stories - Week 76 & 77

Hi,

Hope all is well at your end. It has been quite hectic the past few weeks. Way too much happening at work and equally busy (or even more) on  weekends.

Finally got my name sorted out in this country. Yes, now I have an Australian ID which spells my name as it should be. It still didn't happen without a fight. After I got my passport changed it took me a few attempts to the RTA to figure out what I need to do. In my last visit I got pretty hmm...what's the word...mad? I walk up to the counter and the lady behind says..oh no we can't change a name based on your passport. I needed to get a certificate from the registrar of births and deaths. I had to explain that I cannot provide that and I was a temporary visa holder - there you go again!! She took offence when I told her to consult with her supervisors to handle this matter. She went and brought in a fairly elderly looking lady for 2nd opinion. In the first instant she too refused that it could be done. Again I insisted that someone from this very own office told me that this can be done. Luckily there was some soul who understood my situation and resolved the matter.

The other day we visited our famous Malaysian restaurant with a few other families. Normally we stick to the routine of mee goreng and char kway teaw and it never fails. This time 2 of us wanted to experiment something new. I ordered something I've always seen taken to other tables - Chilli Prawn. It used to look too  colourful to miss. What it was...was a bunch of huge jumbo/king prawns complete with the head, shell and even the limbs deep fried and then tossed in a special chilli sauce. The sauce was nice...great in fact...but eating the prawn was such a nightmare. It became a very messy affair and didn't feel like I ate anything...thanks to all the work spent on cleaning it up to eat. Chilli Prawns - Tick (but not again).

So long folks. Have A Great Week!!

C

No comments:

Post a Comment