Tuesday 7 September 2010

Sydney Stories - Week 33

Hello,

I have been reading the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown recently. I have a weird feeling with the number 33 and my 33rd week in Sydney. It has been the most terrific / terrible and rewarding week so far. For those who don't get this you need to read The Lost Symbol. Dan Brown has been keeping me good company these days. I hate it when my station arrives as I am in the last few chapters and it is literally a page turner. 

Work week was crazy with facilitating meetings between India and US - had to work till everybody came online which is sometimes till 1 - 2 AM. Coupled with a holiday offshore, things didn't move as fast as I expected.  However it had a good ending on Friday when one of my documents got approved after 8 months with a nice word of appreciation from the client. Yes, it took 8 months to get a document approved.

Last weekend I got several new things, a new mobile (thanks to an inconspicuous water spill on my 2.5 yr old Blackberry), a GPS, and even a car (2008 Toyota Camry - Altise). Australia decided I should get a new name as well!! Yes, I am officially now "Chetty Natarajan Chenni" where Chetty is my first name and "Natarajan Chenni" is my surname / last name. Thanks to a small error made in my passport years ago. I have traveled on that passport so many years, applied for various official documents using that as proof - NOBODY has questioned my identity so far. I got this rude awakening when I was attempting to register the car in my name. The lady in the RTA (Road Transportation Authority) explained to me what my name is according to my passport which is what they will go by. It was not a funny feeling when someone questions your identity and name. According to 100 point system I had to have either my bank account or a phone bill that will reflect my name EXACTLY as in my passport. Luckily got my bank account fixed without much discussion and got it registered on Monday. Now I have the simple task of changing the name on my passport because all of my other documents are documented as who I am.

The car purchase by itself was a bit of a story. I have been researching for the last 2 months. The initial few visits to a car dealer gave a completely different experience than what I've had in the US with car dealers. Here they almost looked at me like dirt when I told them that I am looking for a used car about 3-4 years old. Nobody even bothered to come around and show the cars that are available the first time. Car financing was yet another story. My visa is so special that nobody wants to give me a loan beyond my visa period (which btw expires in March 2011). There is a concept called novated leasing here which is almost like a company leased car. When I enquired around it seemed like a viable option where my visa didn't have to matter. I did get mixed inputs on that where some said it will be possible and some said it will not be. Finally one guy did say that he can get me a lease regardless of my visa condition. Ultimately he was wrong. My application got rejected after 1.5 weeks of processing. I had already booked a car by then (based on the earlier "promise" sent to me in email). Finally my uncle came to my rescue and pulled a few strings here and there with his bank to get it sorted out. As it turns out rules are rules but not for everybody. 

Anyway, it is a major relief to be able to move around as I wish without depending on public transport. 

The weather is getting nicer and nicer. Have shifted from a long over coat to a blazer now. Looking forward to spring and summer. 

Have A Great Week!!

Chetty

No comments:

Post a Comment