Wednesday 2 February 2011

Sydney Stories - Week 54

Hello,

Hope you had a good week.

Work is just getting better and better at "entertainment value" every week. Spent a month trying to get something done only to know that the person who could help me with it sits right next to me. 

Last week marks my first anniversary at our apartment here in Westmead. Realize that I haven't been in the same house for so long since Phoenix. 

Auto body shops (as they call it in US) are called "Smash Repair" shops which takes care of all the tinkering and fixing done to cars after an accident. To the point.

Celebrated Australia Day on Jan 26th with a day off from work. This is ONE day where the the Aussies don't mess around with the day of the week to make it convenient along with a weekend. Some people I know of course made it a pretty looong weekend. It was supposed to be close to 40 deg C with humidity of around 90%. Not many people seemed to have ventured out. We had been to the local park here late in the evening to see fireworks. Nothing too great to talk about the pyrotechnics -  very ordinary. 

While returning from the carnival we saw a lot of cars parked on the curb since the parking spaces were all full. It looked funny so I took out my camera and clicked one such car. Just as I turn around, I see that car's owner walk past me and get into the car giving a very "warm" look. Escaaaape.... ;-) 

This weekend had a barbeque (barbie in Aussie) party arranged at Sydney Bicentennial park by a group of friends. A bunch of guys apparently went at around 8.30 in the morning to reserve a spot in the park for a barbeque lunch. Several varieties of vegetarian and meat options were available. A good alternative to host a party if one doesn't have the space at home or to invest in a barbeque setup. It is free if cost for space and fuel. Just need to find a good spot.

Post lunch they had arranged for a game of cricket. Of course I was a silent spectator. The 2nd round the guys decided to include the ladies as well. The rules were bent...or should I say twisted?? The ladies were given an handicap of few feet to bowl. They were not expected to field and every ball that hits the bat scored a run. Seemed like heights of female chauvinism. How could the women take such a liberty???

The weekend ended on a good Aussie Open match. Not sure if I should say Novak deserved to win or Andy deserved to lose. Guess both are appropriate here.

Oki doki. Have A Great Week!!

Chetty

No comments:

Post a Comment