Tuesday 2 February 2010

Sydney Stories - Week 2


OK I lied. I didn't have to wait till next Saturday to find a place to stay. Thank your God or Good Time or whatever your belief may be that you will not hear about my house hunting woes for a little while.

Last week I got connected to a real estate agent who was known to a relative of mine. She RELUCTANTLY agreed to meet me. The stress here is because it was so obvious. Anyway, we did meet and she did show me a house. Remember, if I came alone without my relative's "recommendation", the reply would've been "sorry no private inspections. Please come during an open house next Saturday." One would think such recommendations are not necessary in "developed" countries...no sirree (or madaam). 

However I didn't like the house she showed. It had some dead cockroaches lying around the floor. REJECTED!! She had a couple of other houses to show that I was interested. However I was told that I had to wait till Saturday. I simply don't seem to understand this SYSTEM!!

Anyways...I did get a house to move into on Friday in a suburb called Westmead. I suppose I stood a better chance against the one other who applied who didn't have a job!!  I vacated the hotel just in time before my relocation allowance ended (2 weeks of hotel stay). The apartment is in a heavily secured complex. The area is quite calm with only hospitals around. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the train station. Hope that reduces a little bit of mass that I added during my stay in India.

Here's a little bit about Australianism or Aussiesm. If you were to use start talking like an Aussie here's a simple trick - any word that had more than 2 syllables, you have to break it at the 2nd syllable and add an "ie" or an "oh" to it. For eg., "Australian" - "Aussie", Breakfast - "Brekkie", "Wentworthville" (a suburb) - "Wentie" and so forth. Oh...the other trick is to pronouce "a" as "i". If someone tells you "Have a good die", it means "Have a Good DAY". 

Had a busy weekend shopping and setting up the house. Hopefully I get settled by end of this weekend once the rest of my stuff from Melbourne gets delivered.

Cheers
Chetty

No comments:

Post a Comment